“We are optimistic that this matter will be resolved,” Luo said on the sidelines of an event at the Chinese embassy when asked about China putting a hold on listing of Azhar by UN Security Council (UNSC) or UN Sanctions Committee on designating Azhar as global terrorist.
On Wednesday, China for the fourth time blocked the bid in the UNSC to designate Azhar by putting a technical hold on the proposal. The Chinese move was termed “disappointing” by India.
#WATCH Chinese Ambassador to India Luo Zhaohui speaks to ANI over China blocks India’s bid to designate M Azhar as… https://t.co/tfnKKisPfO
— ANI (@ANI) 1552810200000
It is only a technical hold which means consultations on the issue will continue, government sources said Saturday.
The sources said India was “disappointed” with China for putting the technical hold on the proposal to designate Azhar as a global terrorist and will continue to pursue the matter with Beijing.
The Chinese envoy also referred to the informal summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping in April last year and said the cooperation between the two countries are on the “right track”.
“We are quite optimistic about the future cooperation between the two countries,” Luo said.
The fresh proposal to designate Azhar under the 1267 al-Qaida Sanctions Committee of the UN Security Council was moved by France, the UK and the US, in the wake of the Pulwama terror attack in which 40 CRPF personnel were killed.
The JeM had claimed responsibility for the Pulwama attack.
China has defended its technical block to the UN resolution to declare Masood Azhar as an international terrorist, saying it needed “more time” as it is “conducting a comprehensive and in-depth review” on the listing request put forth by the countries.
China said that it will continue “coordinating” with all the relevant parties to find a “lasting solution” to the issue if is to be resolved in a “responsible and sustainable way.”