This week’s Fortnite update for Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and PC adds two Limited Time Modes or LTMs as they’re known. These are Air Royale and Food Fight Deep Fried. In addition to this, Epic Games has fixed an issue wherein Fortnite PC players would encounter performance issues if they were playing on PCs that did not have quad-core CPUs. The Fortnite update 8.40 download size is around 150MB on iOS with additional download of around 1.5GB to 3GB depending on your device after that.
Fortnite 8.40 patch notes
- Air Royale LTM
- Air Royale is lifting off as a Duos-only mode.
- Each plane has 3 lives, players will respawn until they lose their plane’s last life.
- Touching the ground will instantly eliminate players.
- Parking a plane on the ground for more than a few seconds will cause it to explode – stay airborne.
- Hijacking another team’s plane will add that plane to your existing number of plane lives (and cost the team who lost the plane a life).
- The storm has a ceiling that gradually lowers during the match. Be careful not to fly too high late in the match.
- Loot chests of five different rarities will fall from the sky, allowing players to upgrade the guns they are carrying as well as boosting their plane’s weapons for a short time.
- To receive the contents of a Chest, simply fly through it.
- If players receive loot from a Chest containing a weapon they already have that’s of the same or worse quality, they’ll receive additional ammo.
- Chests with higher quality guns will automatically replace the lower quality weapon that’s being carried.
- Floating repair kits can also be found, these heal damaged planes and grant health and shields to players.
- Food Fight Deep Fried LTM
- An impassable barrier will be spawned along the center of the map for the first several minutes. Lava starts rising from beneath the map a few minutes into the match.
- Each team will have an under-construction restaurant near the center of the map. Inside is a giant mascot head representing that team.
- If the mascot head is destroyed, that team loses the ability to respawn when eliminated.
- Players should use the time that the barrier is up to construct a defensive fortress around their restaurant.
- As soon as the barrier lowers, fight to take out their mascot before they destroy yours.
- Special red supply drops spawn at match start. These hold a handful of weapons, ammo, consumables, traps and a few hundred metal building materials.
- Players will respawn when eliminated, keeping their inventory & dropping some ammo and resources.
- 100 percent extra resources are gained from farming.
- Building resources found on the ground increased from 30 to 50 per instance.
- No explosive weapons or items are in this mode.
- A small amount of free building materials are granted to each player every second.
- The restaurants are now much higher, requiring players to build up to them.
- Resolved a performance regression occurring on PCs with less than quad-core CPUs.
- If you’re still experiencing performance issues on PC, try manually adding the “NoRHIThread” to the Epic Games Launcher settings for Fortnite.
Thanks to Avengers: Endgame, Fortnite may be bringing back Thanos. According to files datamined from the Fortnite update 8.30, references to Thanos have been found. To be precise, new kill and death feed messages clearly mention Thanos. This could result in either a new game mode for Fortnite in time for Avengers: Endgame or simply a return of the Mad Titan just like how he appeared the first time around in time for Avengers: Infinity War.
Last year, Thanos’ Infinity Gauntlet would spawn on the Fortnite map. Whoever would pick it up would turn into Thanos. It was ridiculously powerful and had to be nerfed twice. Hopefully, this time around there would be skins for members of the Avengers as well. This was missing during last year’s Fortnite Avenger’s event.
If you’re a fan of video games, check out Transition, Gadgets 360’s gaming podcast. You can listen to it via Apple Podcasts or RSS, or just listen to this week’s episode by hitting the play button below.